Located in the heart of Oltrarno, Santo Spirito was designed by Filippo Brunelleschi in 1435. However the baroque facade shown in the photo to the left is relatively new, designed in the 18th century. The interior is rather dark compared to other Florentine churches but, like them, it contains superb artistry. Santo Spirito's south transept features Fillipino Lippi's Madonna and Child, while the cenacolo or refrectory houses 11th century sculptures and a beautiful Gothic Crucifixion, created by students of Andrea Orcagna. Also, a crucifix by Michelango that presages his Pieta can be found in the sacistry, a gift of thanks to the order that sheltered him after he lost the patronage of Lorenzo the Magnificent. The photo to the right shows the side view of the church, including the small duomo-like dome over the altar area.
|Interior of the Basilica San Spirito
[Click to enlarge the photos. Please select the browser's "Back" button to return to this page]
|Basilica San Spirito Interior
||Fillipino Lippi's Madonna and Child||Crucifixion and remnants of The Last Supper in the cenacolo or refrectory|
|Michelangeolo's Crucifix in the Sacristy|